The Dental Hygienist promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis, providing oral cancer screening and radiographic studies; charting conditions of decay and disease; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
All duties to be performed according to the established dental practice standards and in compliance with all company policies and procedures. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepare treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepare patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provide information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintain instruments for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selection instruments.
- Select materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient’s oral health.
- Complete dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from gum margins.
- Detect disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
- Arrest dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity-preventing agents.
- Maintain patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances; placing, carving and finishing amalgam restorations; removing cement from crowns and bridges.
- Perform periodontal probing and charting, scaling and root paining, and full mouth debridements.
- Help dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and post operative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygienist visit.
- Document dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in EMR.
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality by adhering to all HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; completing professional CEUs; establishing personal networks.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Observe and enforce all company policies, rules, and safety practices.
- Ensure excellent service standards and maintain high customer satisfaction with all internal and external MedCura Health customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequently lift and move up to 10 lbs. to shoulder height unaccompanied.
- Occasionally lift and move up to 25 lbs. to waist height unaccompanied.
- Occasionally sit for duration of shift.
- Regularly required to walk, stand, kneel, stoop, climb, or balance all day.
- Coordinated use of hands and fingers to grasp, feel objects, transfer small items from one hand to another, fine manipulation, and bilateral reach with arms.
- Use of close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to talk or hear.
- This job operates in a healthcare setting. This role requires regular walking to various locations around the practice. This role also routinely comes into contact with patients who may have contagious illnesses.
Safety and Ergonomic Requirements:
- Must practice safe work practices at all times and report any unsafe conditions immediately.
- Attend and participate in all required safety trainings.
- Participate in daily ergonomic stretches and follow all ergonomic requirements of the position.
- Follow all personal dress requirements according to the established dress code and safety requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduate of an accredited Dental Hygienist program.
- Currently licensed as a Dental Hygienist in the state of Georgia.
- At least 2 years clinical experience.
- Current CPR certification. (BCLS) by AHA
- Proper use of Dental Technology, Dental Health Maintenance, Infection Control.
- Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to speak effectively to diverse populations.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Demonstrate good judgment and decision making skills.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
- This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days vary between Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. MedCura Health, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required.