The Dental Assistant is responsible for supporting the delivery of dental care by, preparing and maintaining treatment room, patient flow, instruments and supplies; passing instruments and materials; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
All duties to be performed according to the established standard and in compliance with all company policies and procedures while maintaining company standards:
- Assists patients in resolving minor difficulties, answering their questions, and giving directions to patients as authorized by the dentist.
- Services as dentist’s chair side assistant.
- Prepares operatory for patient treatment which includes providing instrumentation by sterilizing, and delivering instruments to treatment area, suctioning and positioning instruments as per dental department protocols and the dentist’s directions.
- Exposes and develops dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as dental department directive and protocol.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by the dentist in accordance with state regulation and law and dental department directive and protocol.
- Maintains dental department equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s directions and dental department policy and protocol.
- Maintains all dental department areas in compliance with dental department directives and protocols as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection and exposure control, and safety issues.
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Monitors patient flow, and assists the organization in assuring that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately completed.
- Receives and places necessary phone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business, and patient care of the dental department.
- Assists with various clinical and administrative functions of the center as appropriate and time permits.
- Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment in accordance with dental department directive and protocol.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with the dental department directive, center policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
- Performs all functions in full compliance with the dental department exposure plan including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment and universal precautions.
- Participates in appropriate health promotion/disease prevention activities, both on site and off site as required.
- Travels when necessary to meet operation needs.
- As directed by a manager, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures including but not limited to the participation of a dental assistant in the provisional of clinical dental care, as well as those relating to, but not limited to work place safety, public health, and confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Observe and enforce all company policies, rules, and safety practices.
- Ensure excellent service standards and maintain high customer satisfaction with all internal and external MedCura Health customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequently lift and move up to 10 lbs. to shoulder height unaccompanied.
- Occasionally lift and move up to 25 lbs. to waist height unaccompanied.
- Occasionally sit for duration of shift.
- Regularly required to walk, stand, kneel, stoop, climb, or balance all day.
- Coordinated use of hands and fingers to grasp, feel objects, transfer small items from one hand to another, fine manipulation, and bilateral reach with arms.
- Use of close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to talk or hear.
This job operates in a healthcare setting. This role requires regular walking to various locations around the practice. This role also routinely comes into contact with patients who may have contagious illnesses.
Safety and Ergonomic Requirements:
- Must practice safe work practices at all times and report any unsafe conditions immediately.
- Attend and participate in all required safety trainings.
- Participate in daily ergonomic stretches and follow all ergonomic requirements of the position.
- Follow all personal dress requirements according to the established dress code and safety requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of an accredited dental assistant program.
- Current Healthcare Provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for healthcare providers.
- Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
- Excellent phone etiquette.
- Detailed oriented and efficient required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
- Ability to speak effectively in front of large audiences.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Demonstrate good judgment and decision making skills.
- This position requires up to 25% travel. Travel is primarily local during business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
- This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. MedCura Health, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required.